Lewis Hamilton of McLaren wins the Canadian F1 GP, becoming the seventh different winner in seven races this season and taking the overall standings lead.
MONTREAL, CANADA (JUNE 11, 2012) (FOM) -McLaren's Lewis Hamilton stormed to a Canadian Grand Prix victory on Sunday (June 10) to become a magnificent seventh winner in seven Formula One races this season and seize the championship lead.
The Briton had to mount a ferocious charge after his second pitstop, banging in a series of fastest laps to reel in Red Bull's reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.
Frenchman Romain Grosjean was second in a Lotus, a career bost, with Mexican Sergio Perez third in a Sauber after overtaking Alonso - a driver he may end up partnering next season if he continues to impress.
It was Hamilton's third win in Montreal, an island circuit where he took his first grand prix triumph in 2007, in five attempts.
The 2008 champion, who also stood on top of the podium in Canada in 2010, had his most worrying moments in the two pitstops - McLaren's weak point this season - but on the track he was unstoppable.
Hamilton now has 88 points to Alonso's 86 and Vettel's 85.
Brandishing the British flag as he stepped out of the car after a gripping finale, he hugged his mechanics while girlfriend Nicole Scherzinger kissed his visor.
Vettel had started from pole, just like last year, and led the early part of the 70 lap race, but lost pace over the final laps to finish fourth in a grand prix that his Red Bull team have yet to win.
Spaniard Alonso, bidding to give resurgent Ferrari a victory on the 30th anniversary of the tragic death of former Ferrari great Gilles Villeneuve but struggling on worn tyres at the finish, had to settle for fifth.
Provisional result of Sunday's Canadian Formula One Grand Prix at Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve:
1. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren 1:32:29.586
2. Romain Grosjean (France) Lotus +00:02.513
3. Sergio Perez (Mexico)Sauber 00:05.260
4. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Red Bull 00:07.295
5. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari00:13.411
6. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes 00:13.842
7. Mark Webber (Australia) Red Bull 00:15.085
8. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Lotus 00:15.567
9. Kamui Kobayashi (Japan) Sauber 00:24.432
10. Felipe Massa (Brazil)Ferrari00:25.272
11. Paul Di Resta (Britain) Force India00:37.693
12. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India00:46.236
13. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Williams 00:47.052
14. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Toro Rosso 01:04.475
15. Jean-Eric Vergne (France)Toro Rosso 1 lap
16. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren1 lap
17. Bruno Senna (Brazil) Williams 1 lap
18. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Caterham 1 lap
19. Vitaly Petrov (Russia) Caterham 1 lap
20. Charles Pic (France) Marussia 3 laps
r. Timo Glock (Germany)Marussia 14 laps
r. Michael Schumacher (Germany)Mercedes 27 laps
r. Pedro de la Rosa (Spain)HRT 46 laps
r. Narain Karthikeyan (India) HRT 48 laps
(rank: r = retired, nc = not classified)
Fastest Lap: Sebastian Vettel,1:15.752, lap 70.
Provisional driver and constructor standings after the Canadian Formula One Grand Prix in Montreal on Sunday:
1. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren 88
2. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari 86
3. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Red Bull 85
4. Mark Webber (Australia) Red Bull 79
5. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes GP 67
6. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Renault 55
7. Romain Grosjean (France) Renault 53
8. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren 45
9. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Sauber 37
10. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Williams29
11. Kamui Kobayashi (Japan) Sauber 21
12. Paul Di Resta (Britain) Force India 21
13. Bruno Senna (Brazil) Williams15
14. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari11
15. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India 7
16. Jean-Eric Vergne (France) Toro Rosso 4
17. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Toro Rosso 2
18. Michael Schumacher (Germany) Mercedes GP 2
19. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Team Lotus 0
20. Timo Glock (Germany) Marussia0
21. Charles Pic (France) Marussia0
22. Narain Karthikeyan (India) HRT 0
23. Vitaly Petrov (Russia) Team Lotus0
24. Pedro de la Rosa (Spain) HRT 0
1. Red Bull 164
2. McLaren - Mercedes 133
3. Lotus 108
5. Mercedes 69
6. Sauber 58
7. Williams 44
8. Force India28
9. Toro Rosso 6
12. HRT 0