Sports‎ > ‎

Brazilian Mob Decapitates Soccer Referee After He Stabs Player

posted 8 Jul 2013, 13:53 by Mpelembe Admin   [ updated 8 Jul 2013, 13:54 ]

Brazilian police investigate the decapitation of a soccer referee who was killed after he allegedly stabbed a player.

MARANHAO, BRAZIL (JULY 5, 2013)  (TV RECORD) -  One man has been arrested in northern Brazil after a referee who fatally stabbed an amateur player over his refusal to leave the field was decapitated by a mob, police said on Saturday (July 6).

Referee Octavio da Silva, 20, stabbed player Josenir dos Santos, 30, on June 30 after dos Santos refused to heed his order to leave, police spokesman Kena Souzatold Reuters.

A mob then turned on da Silva, killing him before severing his head in the remote town of Pio XII, named after a former pope.

Relatives of slain referee da Silva said the incident had appalled them.

"Everyone here is sad, revolted. But we can't do anything. No one was there (on the football field), no one from the family, not his father, his mother, or his uncles," said one elderly female relative.

"We feel revolted to have something like this so terrible happen here," said another female relative.

According to local police, Luis Moraes de Sousa, 27, was arrested on July 2 and police in the regional headquarters of Santa Ines are continuing to investigate the incident.

Sousa told reporters about the incident.

"I left soon from there and didn't stay there (scene of alleged crime), you understand? I got information that my brother cut him a little with a sickle and another guy put a knife into his throat," Sousa said.

Police said they were searching for two more suspects who they named asFrancisco Edson Moraes de Sousa and Josimar de Sousa.

Brazil has made significant strides in lowering homicide rates in recent years, as millions were lifted from poverty, but it faces mounting pressures to show it is a safe place for tourists before 12 Brazilian cities host the 2014 soccer World Cup and Rio de Janeiro the Olympic Games in 2016.

In Rio de Janeiro on the day of the brawl, Brazil's national team handily defeatedSpain in the Confederations Cup, considered a test run for next year's much bigger championship. The eight-team tournament was marked by an unexpected wave of demonstrations, some violent, in part to protest the $14 billion being spent on World Cup preparations amid a lack of adequate public services.