Australia's cricket team drops batsman David Warner following a clash with an England player in a late night bar.
LONDON, UK (JUNE 11, 2013) (ITN) - Australia batsman David Warner was dropped from the team's Champions Trophy match against New Zealand on Wednesday (June 12) following an alleged physical altercation with an England player, Cricket Australia (CA) said.
The flamboyant left-handed batsman but right-handed bowler, set to open the batting for Australia in back-to-back Ashes series against England starting in July, has been reported for breaching the code of behaviour.
"Warner...was allegedly involved in (an incident) with an England player in the early hours of Sunday morning following the ICC Champions Trophy match between the teams in Birmingham," the governing body said in a statement.
"Team management have stood down Warner pending the outcome of the hearing."
The England player involved in the incident was young batsman Joe Root.
"The England and Wales Cricket Board confirms that David Warner initiated an unprovoked physical attack on a member of the England team in a Birmingham bar following England's 48-run victory over Australia," the ECB said in a statement.
"Warner has admitted behaving inappropriately and has since apologised to the player involved who has accepted the apology.
"Following a full investigation the England team management has concluded that the England player was in no way responsible for nor retaliated to the attack."
England captain Alastair Cook told a news conference ahead of England's match against Sri Lanka on Thursday he was disappointed the incident happened, adding: "After investigating on our side we don't believe we've done anything wrong.
"It's a shame that it happened, it's marred probably what was for us a very good win for us in a one day game."
The 26-year-old Warner was fined A$5,750 ($5,400) last month by CA for a Twitteroutburst against two journalists.